Category Archives: SharePoint Server 2007

My Sites do not have a quota when they are created

Back when I created my SharePoint farm, I decided to rename the personal site quota template to something like ‘Personal Site (1GB)’. I did this because I wanted the size of the quota in the name – the out of the box one is just called ‘Personal Site’.

What I noticed after doing this is that none of the My Sites that were being created were having a quota applied. They would be set to ‘Individual Quota’ with no limits applied. Not good.

image

The cause of this is that SharePoint does not look at the default quota that is set on the My Site web application:

SharePoint 2007
Central Admin –> Application Management –> Web Application General Settings –> Default Quota template

SharePoint 2010
Central Admin –> Application Management –> Manage Web Application –> Select Web Application –> General Settings (ribbon) –> Default Quota Template

It is hard-coded to use the template called ‘Personal Site’.

So, make sure that you have a quota template called ‘Personal Site’. If this quota template has been removed or renamed, no quota is applied.

 

UPDATE (2/8/11):  This also applies to SharePoint 2010.  Added path to configuration setting in SP2010 Central Admin.

‘Enable this form to be filled out by using a browser’ option disabled when publishing an InfoPath form to MOSS 2007

If you have ever run into the issue where you can’t publish an InfoPath form to a specific site because the ‘Enable this form to be filled out by using a browser’ option is disabled in the publishing wizard, here are a couple suggestions.

Example of option being disabled in the InfoPath publishing wizard:

Figure 1

Enterprise Features

Check to make sure that the “Office SharePoint Server Enterprise Site features” are enabled on the site that you are trying to publish the form to.

If it is already enabled, you will likely need to try the next option.

Re-enable the InfoPath Form Services feature on the site collection and site

Replace <SiteURI> with the sub-site URI
Replace <SiteCollectionURI> with the site collection URI

Run this on the central admin SharePoint server:

stsadm -o deactivatefeature -filename IPFSWebFeatures\feature.xml -force -url <SiteURI>

stsadm -o deactivatefeature -filename IPFSSiteFeatures\feature.xml -force -url <SiteCollectionURI>

stsadm -o activatefeature -filename IPFSSiteFeatures\feature.xml -force -url <SiteCollectionURI>

stsadm -o activatefeature -filename IPFSWebFeatures\feature.xml -force -url <SiteURI>

Note: if you are working with a site that is the root site in a site collection, <SiteCollectionURI> and <SiteURI> will be the same.

Set as default My Site not working?

One of the things that happens when you set your My Site as your default My Site is that your account gets updated in Active Directory with the address of your My Site.

clip_image002

If this is working for all of your standard accounts, but yours does not update (and the link keeps coming back on your My Site), check to see if you are a member of one of the protected domain groups such as Server Operator or Account Operator.  Many times, members of these groups will be specifically denied access from updating their own accounts, thus causing this functionality to fail.

Configuring Permissions for My Site Host

Ever came across this error when a user tries to create their personal site?

‘Your personal site cannot be created because Self-Service Site Creation is not enabled. Contact your site administrator for more information.’

Many of the blogs out there say that you need to add the app pool of your My Site web application to the farm administrators group.  If you are going under the least privilege security model, you probably do not like this approach. 

Here is a simple solution that keeps the app pool account out of your farm admins group as well as protects the use of Self-Service Site Creation.

Note: this assumes that you have a dedicated web application for your My Site host.

Turn on Self-Service Site Creation on your My Site web application

  1. Central Admin –> Application Management –> Click “Self-Service Site Management” under the Application Security heading
  2. Select your My Site web application from the drop list
  3. Select the ‘On’ radio button, make sure that the ‘Require Secondary Contact’ option is unchecked.
  4. Click OK

It should look like this:

image

Configure Permissions on your My Site host

  1. Browse to Central Admin –> SSP Admin Page –> Click “Personalization services permissions” under the User Profiles and My Sites heading
  2. On the left navigation, click the ‘My Site Host Permissions’
    1. This will take you to the root site on the my site host
  3. Click on ’Site Permissions’ on the left navigation
    1. You could also browse to http://<YourMySiteHost/_layouts/user.aspx
  4. Select ‘Settings’ –> ‘Permission Levels’ from the toolbar
  5. Select the ‘Read’ permission level from the list
  6. Clear the ‘ Use Self-Service Site Creation’ permission checkbox and then click ‘Submit’ at the bottom
  7. Add the application pool account of your My Site web application to the  site with the ‘Full Control’ permission level
    1. Click on ‘Permissions’ in the breadcrumb, that should take you back to the Site Permissions page (/_layouts/user.aspx)
    2. Click ‘New’ on the toolbar, enter the application pool account for your My Site host web application
    3. Check the box next to ‘Full Control’
    4. Uncheck the box to send the welcome email
    5. Click OK

Test it out!

  1. Login to SharePoint using a standard user account
  2. Click the ‘My Site’ link in the header
  3. The My Site should be created without the original error