When submitting a document set to a records center, you may see the following error messages:
SharePoint Designer Workflow History:
A very helpful “UnknownError”
SharePoint ULS Logs
01/25/2012 07:47:33.55 w3wp.exe (0x291C) 0x2ADC SharePoint Foundation General 7022 Critical The http://webapp/sites/sitecollection/subsite/_vti_bin/OfficialFile.asmx site could not be found or accessed. a1bfec00-a6f6-4e03-bbd9-687c94fa0e49
NOTE: Be sure to test that the URL noted above is correct. You should be able to browse to it and get the response from the web service.
NOTE 2: It would have been really nice if the logs were a bit more descriptive to indicate what the actual problem was.
You might see this if you are using a Send To connection that is configured in Central Administration.
Records submission through the web service is dependent on the SharePoint group called “Records Center Web Service Submitters for <SiteName>”. This SharePoint group is created automatically when the records center site is configured. If this group is deleted, records submission will fail with the above error messages. Simply creating a new group with the right name does not resolve the issue.
Luckily, there is a very easy fix. This process will re-create the needed group and bind it to the records center submission process.
- Browse to the site features page: Site Actions –> Site Settings –>Manage site features
- Deactivate the Content Organizer site-level feature
- Confirm by clicking the Deactivate this feature hyperlink
- Reactivate the Content Organizer site-level feature
- Check that the “Records Center Web Service Submitters for <Site>” SharePoint group was created