A frequent question I am asked is “where should I start with training to learn more about SharePoint?” As with any SharePoint related question – the answer is “it depends.” In this case, it depends on your role and what level of SharePoint expertise you are looking for. Here are some thoughts on where to go to get started.
- Start with some of the end user training, then get into administration and other topics that interest you
- Then here: http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/en-us/resources/Pages/IT-Pro-Training-Guide.aspx
- Get the demo VM and play with it a lot. Use it as you read the books and other resources. I can’t emphasize this enough – to really learn the product, you have to get experience with it.
Even though you are an administrator, you still need to understand how end users are using the platform. This will making troubleshooting and configuration much easier and you will be able to provide much better service to your customers.
Microsoft Resources: http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/en-us/resources/Pages/IT-Pro-Training-Guide.aspx
- SharePoint Training Portal
- This has many links to books, classroom training, and other resources
- Classroom Training
- 2010 Information Worker Demo VM
- This can be loaded directly into HyperV
- Use the VMware converter to load into VMware workstation